Monday 16 January 2012

My favourite season is upon us once more...

Awards time baby!

I took a break from wedding stressing (more on that in my next post) last night to settle down in front of the TV and watch Hollywood's biggest players arrive for the first big ceremony of the awards season - the Golden Globes red carpet show as brought to you by E! - cue awkward interviews with Ryan 'I'm more famous than anyone I'm talking to' Seacrest and Guiliana Rancic.

There's really nothing better than sitting on your soapbox, wrapped up in your onesie and your boyfriend's hoody, passing judgement on every A-lister who shimmied down the red carpet.

There were some absolute stunners on show last night - and some utter horrors. Here are my hits and misses of the evening:

Emma Stone: she is to DIE for. I love, love, LOVE everything about Emma Stone. I want to be her best friend. Hell, I want to be her. Her Lanvin dress is sensational, the colours suit her beautifully and the eagle belt is so wrong for the dress that it's perfect. My jaw almost hit the floor when she appeared on screen. I literally cannot stress how much I adore this look. Is my girl-crush/borderline obsession becoming obvious? I don't care. I love her.



Next on my hit list is the phenomenal Nicole Ritchie, draped in a metallic silver Julien MacDonald dress, carrying a clutch from her own House of Harlow collection. She's just come a million miles from being Paris's chubby little sidekick - she's completely stunning, stylish and has her very own take on timeless elegance.



Jessica Biel: Beautiful. Ellie Saab. Elegant. Stylish. Tick tick tick tick. OK, so she sort of, kinda, probably looks a bit like she knocked off Blair Waldorf's 2011 hand-me-downs but she looks soooo good in it she's totally forgiven. Jess really pulls off this nude colour because of her gorgeous chocolate brown mane and healthy California glow. This is Amish chic at its very best. Love. Her look wasn't 100% complete though - where was her alleged fiancĂ© Mr JT and her rock?



Natalie Portman: Last year I wasn't too keen on her dress - although it did grow on me the more I saw it, initially I was pretty repulsed by it. This year however, the girl knocked it out of the park. She stood out in a sea of black and nude dresses and just looked so beautiful in her hot pink Lanvin gown. I can't believe this time last year she was heavily pregnant - look at her now. I'm disgustingly jealous ;-)



Jessica Alba: What a babe. There really are no other words to describe how sensational Jess looks in this stunning lilac Gucci number. She's had two kids. I officially hate her/am jealous to the depths of my soul.



Sofia Vergara: Two words. Vera Wang. Nuff said.



Honourable mentions also go to: Charlize Theron, Kate Beckinsale, Stacey Kiebler, Claire Danes and Michelle Williams (who made up for her Valentino melt down last year in midnight blue Jason Wu)

Now let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Angelina Jolie: seriously, what is everyone's obsession with this woman all about? They were RAVING about her on the red carpet last night. Am I the only one who thought she looked horrific? Hey Ange, note for the future: pink and a pop of red will not make people think you have a soul. Stick to black, at least it matches your heart. And put some weight on while you're at it love, shoulder blades and collar bones you could slice bread on are not a good look.



Sarah Michelle Gellar: don't you just HATE it when your biro leaks all over your dress? Gutted. I particularly liked when she tried to pin the blame on her three-year-old daughter.



Madonna: You might be wearing Reem Acra Madge... but if Joey Essex caught sight of you, the last thing he'd be saying is 'reem' - take a seat, you're not in the team.



Lea Michele: last year she went for the peaches & cream 'I swear I'm a nice girl' Barbie look - this year she went for cheap 'barely there' lace tat. I didn't like what you wore last year Lea... but you should've just worn it again this year.



Rooney Mara: I know she's in Nina Ricci, and she's tried to go for conservative black (because she's, like, totally UN-Hollywood and just doesn't understand the fuss surrounding her - neither do I pet, you're not alone) but in actual fact, she just looks like she recycled January Jones's stripper chic Versace from last year and dyed it black. Fail. Sorry.



And finally - how could I omit these two from my best dressed of the night?

Reece Witherspoon: she's so hot it hurts.



Tilda Swinton: so many people just don't 'get' her - certain tabloid newspapers will tear her 'kooky, quirky, zaney' style to shreds. I love her. Can you seriously picture Tilda Swinton in a gold sequinned Marchessa gown, or a skin-tight purple Vera Wang fish tail dress? No, because that's not her. This, on the other hand, is - and she looks fabulous, I don't care what anyone says.


I cannot wait for the Baftas and Oscars - tis the most wonderful time of the year :)

xxBBxx

1 comment:

  1. Emma Stone looked amazing, I definitely agree. Jolie, vom. Good round up :)

    ReplyDelete