Friday 15 April 2011

London Calling...

Having finally packed the last of my bags and bid a fond farewell to Glasgow, I am now officially settled in London – in my new house in the gorgeous West Ealing – and am all set to start my amazing new job on Monday.
After all the trauma of the past five months, life finally seems pretty sweet. There’ll be no more stressing out about work, money, knowing whether or not I made the right decision to switch from journalism to PR – and I’ll certainly feel a lot happier about not being in Australia anymore (the fact that the weather in London is somewhat better than Glasgow is a big plus too).
I surprised myself at how good I was when it came to packing and deciding what to take with me, what to leave behind and what I really should donate to charity. Deciding which shoes to leave in Glasgow was a bit like deciding which of my children I should take on holiday and which ones I should leave with their nanny. But I got there in the end. The story of my clothes was a bit easier – I had a major clear-out before and after Australia and 99% of everything hanging up in my wardrobe was to come with me. But not before I hit the shops in Glasgow with my mum for some last minute “work essentials” (i.e. any excuse to go shopping).
Luckily for me my new office has a ‘smart casual’ dress-code – my favourite kind of work wear – so I treated myself to a new pair of super skinny jeans from Gap (anyone who knocks Gap is a moron, they do the best jeans for every size and the quality of the denim is second to none), a stunning purple summer dress from (wait for it) Wallis of all places – I spotted it through the window when we were passing the shop and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It’s amazing and I can’t wait for a hot sunny day to give it a showing off. And if it’s a little bit chilly outside, it’s going to be perfect with leggings and boots. Next stop was River Island for a gorgeous taupe and cream lily pattered kimono-style jacket. Smart-casual fabulous with skinny jeans, a plain vest top and neutral coloured pumps. And speaking of neutral coloured pumps, my next purchase was exactly that from Dune, followed swiftly by a pair of petrol blue coloured leather flats from Pied a Terre – rocking major toe cleavage in those bad boys. Finally (and wasn’t my mum, not to mention our poor little tootsies, relieved) it was off to Topshop for some basic essentials – two vest tops (in taupe and green) and a bright blue sleeveless body. Perfecto!
We finished our little spree off with afternoon tea in the Willow Tea Rooms on Buchanan Street to celebrate – but I’m not sure if we were celebrating my new job or the fact that the spending was finally over!



No comments:

Post a Comment