Thursday 15 September 2011

Wedding bells...and freaking out...


For the past few months I’ve been quite chilled out and, although excited, somewhat blasé about my wedding plans (although I have no doubts that the Mr would beg to differ). Since getting the venue, photographer, cars, registrar and piper booked, my dress ordered and the bridal party committed within the first four weeks of our engagement (don’t judge me, I was VERY excited) I’ve pretty much taken my foot off the gas and our ‘planning’ has become fairly static.

After all, everyone I spoke to said: “wow you’re so organized, you know you’ve got loads of time right?” which, admittedly, made me feel like a quasi-bridezilla (I swear I’m not). So I started thinking to myself ‘it’s fine, you’ve got over a YEAR to go’ – time to think again.

The ‘year’ countdown is officially underway and those same people who ‘accused’ me of being organized are now saying to me: “wow you’ve only got a year to go, you’ve no idea how fast it goes in, what have you got left to do?”

REALLY? WTF. One minute I’m too organized, the next I’m freakin’ last minute Larry!

deep breath

So now it’s on. In less than one year I’ll be shimmying myself down the aisle – and I am starting to panic.

We can’t find a band – music is instrumental (excuse the terribly ill-advised pun there) to the success of our big day. We want – nay, need – an incredible, kick-ass, gets butts out of seats and feet on the dance floor band – and preferably one that doesn’t play anything by Michael Buble. Seriously, what is it with Michael Buble?

So far we’ve looked at and listened to countless bands – some of which are ok, some even good, but many are diabolical. Only four have literally made me want to clap my hands together with excitement. All four are already booked, have a waiting list and don’t have any available slots for the next two and a bit years, give or take a month.

The Mr is very particular about his music so naturally I blame him for the fact we’re having to put so much effort into finding the ‘perfect’ band – but in the cold harsh light of day, I’m just as particular and won’t settle for any old crap.

First things first: absolutely NO Michael Buble. I think I’ve made my feelings on that extremely clear. A maximum of four people, I mean really, why would we need any more than that? No backing tracks – it has to be LIVE. If you require the use of backing tracks, you’re clearly useless and therefore not worth my money. If you don’t have a single Beatles or Rolling Stones track on your set list you can bore off. I’m not interested. (And believe me, I have come across bands with neither.) 

The pressure with the band is that you need music that absolutely everyone can relate to. The oldies, as we all know, are always guaranteed floor fillers, so I can’t get my head around a wedding band that wouldn’t play them. Gaga and Beyonce might get the 19-year-olds on the dance-floor in the club but my 80-year-old auntie is going to want to turn her hearing aid off.

I have 51 weeks – there are going to be tears, drama, more tears and a lot of swearing.

Watch this space…

No comments:

Post a Comment