Thursday 4 August 2011

A Topshop(ping) Experience...

So I haven’t blogged in a while because I’m becoming lazy. Every night I get home from work and I think to myself, I must pay my beautiful blog some attention tonight. And I never do.

That changes now. My blog lovin’ is back and I promise not to ditch you for any of the following ever again: work, the mister, wedding plans, tired eyes.

As a result of increased penny pinching thanks to said wedding plans, my List of Lust has grown tenfold of late. The things I covet are still sadly that. But there may be one special item winging its way to me thanks to my darling cousin who is heading off on a shopping holiday to Hong Kong – lucky duck. As all you fashion darlings out there will know, Hong Kong is a mecca for designer clothes, shoes and handbags, at a fraction of the price you would pay here.

Step in my desire for a Mulberry Alexa – a splurge I simply cannot justify here, despite having to literally tear myself away from the Mulberry store in Westfield every time I (go out of my way to) walk past it. However, in Hong Kong, the object of my desire is significantly cheaper. And depending on how much cheaper, I will soon be the proud owner of a camel coloured, over-sized Alexa which will swing from my arm with such passion that people in the streets will stop and gasp. *intake of breath*

However, despite the aforementioned penny pinching I do still try to treat myself "every now and again" and after payday last Friday I felt there was no better time than to flex my debit card - and pay my dream bag a long overdue visit - at Westfield.

It's been quite some time since I've had a proper blow-out at Topshop - as excited as I get when I walk into the Oxford Street store (cue all those fabulous accessories on the ground floor) sometimes I'm left decidedly underwhelmed and disappointed. I think it's because my expectations are so high that I often have such a hit or miss experience with Topshop. However, I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that last weekend's spree was, indeed, a HIT.

I can sometimes be a bit of a one-trick pony when it comes to my clothes. I love fashion but when it comes to what I actually wear I tend to stick to what I know suits and looks good on me. I take Gok Wan very seriously and when I'm trying new clothes on my mantra is often "what would Gok say" - because let's face, boyfriend knows how to dress a girl to suit her shape. I live in my skinny jeans, ballet pumps, flip flops or converse depending on my mood and my tops of choice (particularly for work) are generally sheer blouses with a fitted vest underneath. But on Saturday I really felt like taking a risk (a risk for me anyway) and put together an outfit that I always wanted to wear, but never quite dared to... I fell in love when I saw Topshop's amazing leopard print Maccoy Chelsea ankle boots - they took me back to when I was seven years old and Chelsea boots had just come (back? I don't know, I was only seven) into fashion - minus the leopard print of course. I tried them on and that was it. A match made in leopard print heaven.

Next up was the amazing charcoal skull print t-shirt. I'm a bit of a muso, and the mister considers himself a total rockstar so naturally I've been wanting release my inner rock goddess for quite some time - and how better to do that than rock out to the Stones while wearing my amazing new skull t-shirt? To finish the look I knew it could only be one thing: cut off denim hot pants. But not quite hot pants because I don't fancy showing the entire world what I had for breakfast - at least not until I can look at my toosh and say 'Kylie eat yer heart out love'.

So that was it. I promised myself one kick-ass outfit and I got it. No more spending. Until I clapped eyes on a stunning coral eighties style power-jacket that I knew would be "just perfect" for work (cue extreme eye rolling from Stan) and a sheer black blouse with floral print. Five items from Topshop - in one day. I couldn't believe my luck. My purse couldn't believe my nerve. My mister couldn't believe I was spending money on "even more clothes and stupid animal print shoes" - HA shoes, shows how much he knows.

So here they are my lovelies...my new wardrobe darlings...aahh j'adore... xBBx







1 comment: