Tuesday 21 February 2012

Top of the Frocks

So the final, and most exciting, awards night of the red carpet season is almost upon us: The Oscars. The big one. The one that makes every other award on the shelf seem dull, pointless and, quite frankly, about as prestigious as a pork scratching.

This is the night to really shine.

Over the years we've witnessed some howlers - major fashion faux pas - as the stars take to the red carpet, hoping their names will be the names on everyone's lips the next morning. And very often they are, for all the wrong reasons.

But then along come the real class acts, the fashionistas, the women who leave Joan Rivers speechless, unable to crack jokes at their expense, and watch on doe-eyed as Ryan Seacrest drowns in his own saliva. To these women I raise my glass - the reason I stay up way past my bed-time on a school night - you make it all worthwhile.

In no particular order...




Anne Hathaway looks stunning in her pillarbox red, one-shouldered Marchesa gown, putting her Devil Wears Prada alter ego Andi to shame. I'm not usually a fan of red but this I would wear. If I could afford it. Which I can't.



If you're looking for true old fashioned Hollywood glamour and style this is it: Audrey Hepburn in Givenchy. It literally gives me shivers. This is the perfect example of what elegance and sheer class is all about. I love it and it's a style that so many young actresses try to recreate nowadays but so many fail to capture that certain je ne sais quoi that Hepburn had.



Hilary Swank in Guy Laroche was simply head-turning. From the front this dress was minimalistic, yet still stylish if a little understated. She turned around however and showed that it's not always about the tulle and the frou-frou - the back detailing on this gorgeous dress gave it the oomph and wow factor to make it perfect for the Oscars.




Julia Roberts stole the show in vintage Valentino before 'vintage' was even a thing. She made vintage desirable among the Hollywood elite after becoming the first actress to pick up an Oscar dressed in a vintage gown. It's a far cry from her street walking days in Pretty Woman. I'm guessing she doesn't need a safety pin to pull up the zips of her hooker boots anymore.



I think this was probably when I sat up and started to take real notice of Keira Knightley - it's also probably around the same time I started to hate her with a passion that could only be stemmed from sheer unadulterated jealously. This burgundy Vera Wang gown is, without a shadow of a doubt, my all time favourite Oscars gown. This dress makes me want to drop to my knees and kiss the ground Vera walks on. It makes me want to cry. It makes me want to throw every item of clothing I own into the fire and just pray that Vera will materialise on my doorstep offering to design me an entire new wardrobe. For this particular reason, I try not to look at this dress too much.



Marion Cotillard looks like the most glamorous mermaid in the ocean in this stunning Jean Paul Gaultier creation. Not many people knew who the gorgeous French actress was when she picked up her award in 2008, but whether she had won that night or not, this dress guaranteed people would be talking about her the following day.



Michelle Williams finally broke out of her Jen Lindley mould when she rocked up to the Oscars with her beau, the late, great, Heath Ledger on her arm and Vera Wang (there she goes again) draped over her body. Yellow isn't exactly my thing but this mustard-esque tone on her pale skin, with those bright red lips is to die for.



Natalie Portman, the perfect little pint-sized princess in Lanvin. This Grecian goddess trend keeps coming back, season after season - looking at this dress it's not hard to see why. This is sort of dress that makes your eyes pop out of your head for all the right reasons.



Now let it be said that I don't like Penelope Cruise. I don't like her as an actress, I don't like her a spokesperson and I certainly don't like her as a forward thinker in the style stakes. BUT I do like this. Versace, blush pink, strapless, ruffles - tick tick tick tick - what's not to love? It would look horrendous on me with my whiter than white skin but put it on Penelope and badabing badaboom - you got yourself a LOOK.




Yes, Reese is getting not one but two notable mentions - I just couldn't decide between her vintage Christian Dior dress or her Nina Ricci gown. So different, yet both equally breath-taking. Reese in Dior is still quite young, fresh faced and innocent looking. Reese in Ricci is a whole different ballgame altogether - she's sophisticated, a worthy Oscar winner, independent and taking the fashion stakes to a whole new level.



Scarlett Johansson in Dolce & Gabbana makes me salivate. This dress literally ticks every box for me - lace, plum, slinky without showing cleavage, fishtail - I LOVE it. 


Remember when Sienna Miller burst on to the scene and she was all about boho chic and hippy goddess style? This is what I loved most about her. She brought her own signature brand of boho to Hollywood and stood out from a sea of formal frocks in this eye-catching Matthew Williamson (natch) dress. The chunky gold cuff on her arm couldn't have been more perfect for the dress if she had tried. SEN-SA-TION-AL.

And that about sums it up for me - what's been your favourite Oscar dress over the years? xox


No comments:

Post a Comment