Monday 30 January 2012

SAG Awards 2012 - pass me my judgement stick...

Another weekend, another awards ceremony - I do love this time of year. I didn't quite have the stamina to stay up and watch E! (big up Ryan and Guiliana, although when are they going to ditch that pollution Kelly Osbourne?) last night for the red carpet so I had to rely on the newspapers this morning to get my fashion fix - and I wasn't disappointed.

As usual there was an influx of Marchesa gowns gracing the red carpet and here are my three favourites:

Sofia Vergara - I'm starting to fall a little bit in love with her. Mainly because she's got the huskiest voice ever. And probably because she's *so* pretty. And a lot because I like her dresses. She looks stunning in this gown that hugs her curves beautifully.



Viola Davis: Now I'm having a bit of a conundrum here because part of me loves this dress, part of me hates it. The reason being is that I think it doesn't suit The Help actress at all. The dress itself is stunning, it's a gorgeous cut, the colour is perfect again her skin - but it's not for her if you know what I mean? It looks too small, maybe that's the problem, she seems to be busting out a little across the chest - maybe if there was a bit more material up top it would look a hundred times better? I don't know, I'm just of the opinion that if you're THAT booby (and I speak as a busty gal myself here) that deep cut sweetheart neckline on a strapless dress is best avoided.



Stacey Keibler: My final Marchesa worshipper of the night and I think possibly my favourite of all three. It's sexy without being OTT and slutty (black lace isn't always the classiest option) but she's got this look down to a T - utterly chic and gorgeous. Maybe it's something to do with that incredible man-bag she's got hanging off, I just don't know...




Next up is she who can do no wrong: Emma Stone. In an Alexander McQueen prom dress and Tiffany jewellery. *Sigh* She is giving all the big wigs a run for their money in the style stakes - it's getting better and better every time I see Ms Stone and I cannot wait to see what she'll pull out of the bag for the Oscars next month.



After what I felt was a bit of an epic fail (granny's old grey lace curtains) at the Golden Globes, Glee star Lea Michele has attempted to redeem herself somewhat in this slinky silver Versace number. I'm not offended by it, but I think she's trying too hard to be hot and sultry. Last year she was all about the Barbie doll peaches and cream look, as if to scream how cute and sweet she was - this year (now that she's a "serious" movie actress and all) I get the impression she wants us to view her in a different light? If only Jessica Rabbit could see the trend she started.




Last year Michelle Williams made a major fashion faux pas in Valentino at the Golden Globes. This year she avoided making the same mistake twice and wore Jason Wu. However it seems Michelle was willing to give old Valentino a second chance last night and this time she got it spot on. This red gown is stunning (and we all know my feelings about red clothes) it really suits her colouring, her hair and make up look gorgeous - has playing Marilyn Monroe finally brought out Jen Lindley's inner glamour-puss? My only criticism? The dress could be a couple of inches longer.



This is certainly not my favourite look of the night but I think Rose Byrne deserves kudos and a pat on the back for bucking the trend: she banished the long elegant gowns to the back of her stylist's closet for the night and said hello to the jump suit. I sort of like it. She wears it well and she stands out in a sea of dresses. Good on her.



Morticia Addams - sorry, Angelia Jolie - is back to her not-so-fabulous 'best' in what I can only describe as a black bin liner. She has single handedly managed to make Jenny Packham, the designer of sensational wedding gowns, look cheap. She can literally suck the life out of anything. And if one person tells me they think she looks fab... well I'm sorry but you're a moron.



I've loved Emily Blunt ever since she stole the show from Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada. Now I love her even more. Her green Oscar de la Renta gown really stands out from the crowd and she just looks so beautiful in it. One person remarked that they thought it was "unflattering around her thighs" - that person is an idiot.



I don't actually know who the designer of this monstrosity is - but I also don't want to know. All I know is that Maria Menounos make a colossal fail with this... words fail me... cheap, tacky, wouldn't-look-out-of-place-in-Quiz get-up.



We all remember Audrey from Dawson's Creek right? No? The one who went out with Pacey (after Joey...and before her) No? She's Courtney Cox's sidekick in Cougar Town? Ring any bells? No? Ok well, she certainly won't be making headlines for being the number one fashionista in town either. Did she come from the beach or is she taking the whole irony of boho chic just one step too far?



I really love Dianna Agron in this gorgeous little Caroline Herrera number. Just like the designer herself, she's kept it simple, elegant and timeless. I am impressed. I'm also LOVING the hair.



Who requested the mail-order hooker bride?? Oh, it's Heather Morris from Glee. My mistake.



Amber Heard rocks this Zac Posen number - I love love love it. She even looks a tad like Scarlett Johansson here - or is that just me?


The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco in Romona Kevaza. Style - yes. Colour - no. Is it just me or does it look like she washed her green socks in with her wedding dress by accident?



Shailene Woodley in L'Wren Scott. I can't even think of anything nice to say here. This is truly horrible.


I really want to like this gown by Aussie designer Collete Dinnigan on Judy Greer - I REALLY do. But there's something holding me back from loving it completely and I can't quite put my finger on it - I think it's the slightly too high neckline, but I'm just not sure...


Until the Oscars lovers... over and out ;-) xx

2 comments:

  1. Ohh no I adore the colour of Kaley's dress! I have a feeling it might be the kind of mint colour that photographs lighter than it really is, but I could be wrong. Emma Stone, as always, looks amazing. Keibler is a major hottie, wowza

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a personal thing - and probably because I could never rock that colour myself ;-) it's a bit too ice queen for me. Still love the style of the dress though, and she wears it well! I'm just never going to get over Emma Stone. She's officially my hero.

    ReplyDelete